What are the signs?
The application of resinous-material composite to the natural tooth is indicated for:
- Restore the missing tooth structure caused by decay or erosion
- Repairing fractures and chipping coseguenza of accidental trauma or occlusal disease
- Mask stained teeth
- Whiten and improve the appearance of natural teeth
- Blacks close open spaces between the teeth as a result of periodontal disease
- Align the teeth
How to use composite resins?
The composite is applied in thin layers to the natural tooth with special adhesives to obtain the desired cosmetic effect.
In most cases it is sufficient a single sitting.
Am I a candidate for treatment with composite resins?
Candidates for this treatment are patients who:
- Have discoloration of the teeth caused by excessive consumption (a result of occlusal disease, bruxism or acidic substances)
- Have silver amalgam fillings
- Want a minimally invasive treatment
- Choose a less expensive solution compared to ceramic restorations such as veneers
When they are less indicated?
The composite restorations on anterior teeth are less indicatati in patients:
- Heavy smokers
- Heavy users of pigmenting substances such as tea and coffee
- In these cases, if the aesthetic request is highest it is preferable to the application of ceramic veneers.
Maintaining resin composite restorations
The composite resin restorations with an average term of about 5-8 years.
To prolong their preservation is recommended:
- Perform professional oral hygiene sessions frequent and regular
- Reduce or abstain from smoking
- Control the bad habits (nail biting or chewing ice)
- Limiting the use of food and drink pigmented
The use of night guards is recommended for those with parafunctional habits such as bruxism or teeth clenching.
What are porcelain veneers?
The veneer is a thin ceramic coating that adheres to the outer surface of the tooth type "contact lens" in order to improve the aesthetic appearance or to protect it if damaged.
Such as porcelain veneers are applied?
Porcelain veneers typically require two sessions.
In the first, the tooth enamel can be reduced to improve the adaptation of the facets and an impression is taken of precision for their realization.
In the second session the veneers are approved by the patient and applied on the surface of the teeth.
Once applied, a high intensity light hardens the concrete ensures strong adhesion to the tooth.
Cemented and finished the veneer has the look of a natural tooth, the surrounding healthy gum tissue.
Am I a candidate for porcelain veneers?
The ceramic veneers can be used to correct a number of dental aesthetic problems such as:
- Changes of color
- The form fractures and abnormalities
The ceramic veneer is considered the ideal choice for improving the most smiles.
It has a yield improved aesthetics compared to composites: not stain, keeps the shine and is resistant to wear.
As you keep the porcelain veneers?
Porcelain veneers must be treated as natural teeth; avoid jerking movements and laceration, do not bite your nails or high hardness objects.
In order to preserve the integrity of contact between the tooth and veneers, it is recommended each year to undergo fluoride application.